Various - Gilles Peterson Digs America Vol 2
Various - Gilles Peterson Digs America Vol 2
(CD/3xLP) Luv'N'Haight LHCD/LP056 / Brownswood LH047, 2007-09-24
Another second heads your way, this one curated by DJ Gilles Peterson. Included on his Digs Vol. II compilation are tracks like the ultra rare Mary Lou Williams 45' "You Know Baby" (and her previously unreleased "Pussy's In The Well") alongside Detroit's Dee Edwards and little-known Bay Area singer Carrie Cleveland who both mix a little Northern Soul with a touch of Funk while The Diddys get cosmic and Ray Camacho drops a Latin version of a Brass Construction classic.
01. Lorez Alexandria - I'm Wishin'
02. Bethlehem Progressive Ensemble - Make Way (Call To Worship)
03. Irene Kral - Goin To California
04. Mary Lou Williams - You Know Baby
05. Carrie Cleveland - Make Love To Me
06. Dee Edwards - Why Can't There Be Love?
07. RAMP - The Old One, Two
08. The Diddys Feat. Paige Douglas - Intergalactic Love Song
09. Ray Camacho - Movin' On
10. Steve Parks - Sadness In My Samba
11. Gap Mangione - Boys With Toys
12. Reverie - In Every Way
13. DB Shrier - East
14. James Tatum - Introduction/Lord Have Mercy
15. Al Jarreau - My Favorite Things
16. The Love Affair - Never In My Life
17. Mary Lou Williams - Pussy's In The Well
18. Musicians from the Summer Program for Youthful Musicians - Brougham
LP x Digital Bonus: The Pyramids - Nsorama
Press Release :
This is the second in the Digs series of compilations and, like Volume I, this album was curated by DJ Gilles Peterson. We'd initially thought Digs would be a series involving different collectors but by popular demand (and because he has more than his fair share of wax) volume two is another collection from the world renowned tastemaker, DJ, and BBC radio host.
Digs America II was compiled with tracks from the famous Brownswood Basement (a version of his radio show dedicated to rare and old tunes, and also the name of the house where his collection is kept) and also includes music bought on a recent visit to the USA and Canada. Between DJ dates Peterson squeezed in trips to local record stores and while he found plenty of goodies he was also reminded of the demise of the record store.
The best specialty vinyl shops, typically run by a knowledgeable owner, promising a selection of rare, curious, and classic tunes, are sadly vanishing fast. Village Music, the Mill Valley, California-based record store that provided the backdrop for front and back of this album, will be closed by the time this album is released. Fingers have been pointed at all kind of reasons for store closures including a lack of new vinyl to keep stores ticking over, Ebay, iTunes, sharing of files, poorly run stores, raised rent etc. Whatever the reason, the casual trip to your favorite vinyl emporium is quickly becoming much more difficult as stores disappear like endangered species. So here is Gilles Peterson digging and sharing (legally!) to keep quality rarities alive, but searching perhaps at the end of an era...
Included on this compilation are tracks like the ultra rare Mary Lou Williams 45 "You Know Baby" (and her previously unreleased "Pussy's In The Well") alongside other well known artists like a version of "My Favorite Things" from Al Jarreau's first ever album, a spiritual Jazz piece from piano-great James Tatum and a moody Soul Jazz ballad from Lorez Alexandria. Soul favorites RAMP are on-board with an unreleased gem that rivals any of the tracks on their much loved "Come Into Knowledge" album, Detroit's Dee Edwards and little-known Bay Area singer Carrie Cleveland mix a little Northern Soul with a touch of Funk while The Diddys get cosmic and Ray Camacho drops a Latin version of a Brass Construction classic. Liner notes will include info on all the artists, pictures, scans and words from Mr Peterson.
Download podcast on
Tracklisting from Worlwide Preview pocast :
01. James Tatum - Lord Have Mercy
02. Gap Mangione - Boys With Toys
03. Bethlehem Progressive Ensemble - Call To Worship
04. Irene Kral - Going To California
05. Steve Parks - Sadness In My Samba
06. Jon Lucien - Search For The Inner Self
07. Flirtations - Nothing But A Heartache
08. Dee Edwards - Can't There Be Love
09. Moses Dillard - Tribute To Wes
10. James Rivers - Its All Over
11. Lorez Alexandria - I'm Wishin
12. Mary Lou Williams - Pussy's In The Wall
13. Ray Camacho - Movin' On
13. The Diddys - Intergalactic Love Song
14. Ramp - The Old One Two
14. 47 Times Its Own Weight - March Of The Goober Wooblers
15. The Pyramids - Nsorama
16. Db Schrier - East