Various - Carolina Funk
Various - Carolina Funk
(CD/2xLP) Jazman Records JMAN018, 2007-11-02
01. Primitive - Creation of music (3:11)
02. Gamith - Darkness (2:50)
03. Innersouls - Just take your time (2:57)
04. Dynamite Singletary - Super good (1:55)
05. Mongoose - King Cobra (3:50)
06. Soul Impossibles - Interpretation - Soul Power No.1 (3:53)
07. Carleen & the Groovers - Can we rap (2:16)
08. Sundia - Stand up and be a man pt.1 (3:35)
09. The Tempo's Band - Ease it to me (2:18)
10. Frankie and the Damons - Bad Woman (2:58)
11. - You ain't miss it (2:05)
12. Black experience Band - The Road (3:19)
13. The Soul Drifters - Funky Soul Brother (6:12)
14. James Reese & the Progressions - Let's go (It's Summertime) (2:53)
15. Paul Burton - So very hard to make it (3:53)
16. Wally Coco - message to society (5:40)
17. Anthony Burns - Doing what you need to do (5:41)
18. The Black Exotics - Theme of Blackbyrds (3:24)
19. Donnie Brown - Funky Mind (2:51)
20. George Campbell - Good time (2:07)
21. J.D.'s - Funky Party Time (4:33)
22. The Ultimates - Progressive Movement (prev. unreleased bonus track CD ONLY)
Press Release :
We continue our quest to uncover the most obscure and vibrant rare Funk ever recorded! After the success of last year's 'Florida Funk', we've travelled north up the Atlantic coast to investigate the little-known yet incredibly prolific funk scene in the two rural states of North and South Carolina.
Bordering on the western fringes of the Bible belt, the Carolinas share the back woods reputation of neighbouring Tenessee and Georgia. Without any large urban centres, much of the musical output of North and South Carolina has been limited to small rural communities - most bands and their records remained localised and never ventured further than the state borders. No wonder this amazing music has remained so obscure - until now!
Funk45 label boss Jazzman Gerald and North Carolina resident and obsessive record collector Jason Perlmutter have selected 22 rare and unreleased slices of heavy funk from the Carolinas to show how the gospel according to James Brown reached out into even the most bucolic and remote areas of small-town USA.
From driving percussive instrumentals by high-school college buddies, to heartfelt slabs of soul; from rediscoverd tapes in the garages of retired musicians to funk 45s so raw that they were blessed by James Brown himself! We are proud to present at last the unsung funk sounds of the Carolinas!
Jazzman Records creates the finest, most comprehensive and exhaustively curated CD collections of funk 45s in the world. No expense is spared in tracking down artists, producers and master tapes to provide the highest quality product that can be done. If you're into funk or soul music - you need it!
- The rarest and most coveted funk 45s from North and South Carolina, in demand by collectors and DJs around the world
- Includes three previously unreleased tracks, sourced from original studio tapes and acetates
- All tracks fully licensed and restored from original sources
- Original stories direct from the musicians and artists
- 24 page colour cd booklet with in-depth liner notes, label scans and previously unpublished photographs
- Cover photo of the Venus Fly-Trap, indigenous to North Carolina
- Deluxe gatefold LP with full colour sleeve inserts
- Original copies of some of these 45s have sold for $1000 and more - making this by far the easiest and best way to discover the rich musical heritage of North and South Carolina