Mr. Scruff - Big Chill Classics
Mr. Scruff - Big Chill Classics
(2xCD) Big Chill, 2006-08-21
CD 1 :
01. Metropolis IX - Mike Westbrook
02. N Nafanta - Ousmane Kouyate Band
03. Celestial Blues - Gary Bartz NTU Troop
04. All In Your Mind - Dennis Yost & The Classics IV
05. Can't we Smile - Johnny Hammond
06. Peaceful Morning - Paul Hunter
07. Serene - Nobukazu Takemura
08. Illicity Part 1 - Extended Spirit
09. Music's Made Of Memories - Treva Whateva
10. Back A Yard - In Crowd
11. Wicked Can't Run This Dub - Glen Brown
12. Proverbs - Daweh Congo
13. My Lady Frustration - Fela Ransome Kuti
14. Moondance - Grady Tate
CD 2 :
01. Everybody Loves The Sunshine - D'Angelo
02. Getting It On - Rick James
03. Summer Brass - Sarah Winton
04. Hei Voce - Dom Salvador E Aboliciao
05. Kofi - Donald Byrd
06. Off And On - Moacir Santos
07. Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love - Odyssey
08. Don't Fret It - Vin Landers & Fudge Fingas
09. You Fly Me - Fingathing
10. Blues Music - G Love & Special Sauce
11. Devil's Gotta Run - Ernesto
12. Held Him First - Deyampert
13. Strangers - Home Life
14. Vision - Das Goldene Zeitalter
Press release :
For fans of the Big Chill Festival and lovers of music which moves at a relaxing pace "Big Chill Classics" is a compilation that is sure to see heavy rotation. Compiled by the doodle drawing, tea sipping, marathon set gigging, Mr Scruff, the album is his testament to a movement which was started by Pete Lawrence and Katrina Larkin, twelve years ago.
Scruff says, "Having been a regular fixture at the Big Chill for around ten years now, I was delighted to be asked to compile a collection of personal favourites for the label. It sums up my vision of the festival with a large dollop of Sunday morning thrown in for good measure."
Set over 2 discs, "Big Chill Classics" is the perfect accompaniment to the summer months and even those that prefer their BPM to be in the triple figures will be able to use this as the "go-to" album whenever a change of pace is needed. D'Angelo's rendition of "Everybody Loves The Sunshine", is sure to be a favourite amongst many listeners and if it's an education in chill that you're looking for then Scruff has recorded an impeccable lesson for you to keep for prosperity. Records from artists including Fela Kuti, Mike Westbrook, Rick James, The In Crowd and more are all here.
"He was the first DJ I ever saw get a standing ovation at the Big Chill, the atmosphere was so incredible, we had real security concerns as to how we would safely get him out of the dance tent as the stage was in the middle that year!" - Katrina Larkin
Undoubtedly the perfect curator for "Big Chill Classics" - Andy "Scruff" Carthy has been one of the Big Chill Festival's main attractions for sometime now and is renowned the world over for his varied and impeccable taste in music, reviving KPM library records and dropping everything from Amerie to Zongamin in his 6 hour marathon sets. He's had two artist album releases to critical acclaim, countless remixes and has recently opened up Voxpop, a record store-cum-crate digger melting pot in Manchester's Vinyl Valley.
Both Pete and Katrina wanted to work with Scruff because he has been with them all the way. He has shown up to play for them, as crowds have grown from 100 to 10,000 people, which is something they both really appreciate. They are really pleased he agreed to do the next "Big Chill Classics" following on from Pete's initial one for Universal. Everything about it is right, most particularly the end result which serves to confirm the mighty Scruff's place in the hearts and minds of all Big Chillers.