Influences : Compiled & Mixed by DJ Marky
Various - Influences: Compiled & Mixed by DJ Marky
(2xCD/MP3) Barely Breaking Even Records BBECD099, 2008-10-06
01. Influences (Continuous Mix) - DJ Marky
02. It's All In Mr. Magic's Wand - Whodini
03. Balanca Pema - Ronald Mesquita
04. Sugar Rock - One Way
05. Pulo, Pulo (Live in Japan 1972) - Jorge Ben, Trio Mocoto
06. Let's Funk Tonight - Blue Feather
07. Modesty (Theme From Modesty Blaise) - Cal Tjader
08. Thousand Finger Man - Candido
09. Casino Royale - DJ Zinc
10. Little Boat (O Barqinho) (Live) - Gabor Szabo
11. Nem O Mar Sabia - Luiz Carlos Vinhas
12. You Held My Hand - Manix
13. Adeus, Maria Fulo - Os Mutantes
14. Sambinha - Sambalanco Trio
15. Here's To You - Skyy
16. These Eyes - The Guess Who
17. The Honeysuckle Breeze - Tom Scott & The California Dreamers
Press Release :
World's no. 1 drum n' bass DJ showcases all his influences for the first time, being it Brazilian Jazz, seventies Soul Funk, Disco, 80's two step boogie and through to what he's most known for Drum ‘n' Bass...
DJ Marky is regarded as a Drum 'n' Bass innovator and was discovered by English DJ Bryan Gee, who saw Marky playing in a club in São Paulo in 1998. Amazed by DJ Marky's scratch skills, he invited him to play in London. Marky got started in Drum 'n' Bass in 1992, choosing a more hardcore edge, but the small audiences nearly caused him to give up. At the time, he was told that that kind of music was for only a few. In 1997, he went to London and met DJs Hype and Goldie. The meeting with Brian G was definitive for Marky's conquering of England. In 1999, he was awarded "Best New DJ" by the British critics. With the world now being his dj'ing playground, Marky has been praised for his sound articulation abilities, with elaborate mixings that connect one song to the next with amazing accuracy and also for the careful choice and combination of the repertoire which is exactly what shines through so brilliantly here on this album.
As DJ Marky puts it himself: "My influences are from all over the place. I have a mad record collection that has all sorts from old soul and Motown to Broken Beat and Trip Hop; it's all in there! Variety is a spice of Life!"