Ghislain Poirier - No Ground Under
Ghislain Poirier - No Ground Under
(2xLP) Ninja Tune ZEN138, 2007-10-31 (Canada), 2008-02-18 (Rest of the world)
02. Blazin' feat. Face-T
03. Jusqu'en haut feat. Omnikrom
04. Hit & Red
05. No More Blood feat. Face-T
06. Go Ballistic feat. Zulu
07. One Hand Can't Clap
08. City Walking feat. Abdominal
09. Ladies & Gentleman feat. Ambitieux & DJ Netik
10. It's a War War
12. Dem Nah Like Me feat. Mr. Lee G
14. Mangnen l'boulé feat. Nik Myo
Promo CD Artwork:
Release info :
Society is speeding headlong into the 21st century, and we're standing at a unique juncture in musical history. Worldviews expand and sonic geographies contract as people and philosophies travel faster and farther than ever before. Analog and digital information are woven together as analog forms of expression – the voice, the drum skin, the low end rumble – disintegrate into ones and zeros and rebuild into a new hybridity. The intersection of digitalism and globalism is the future made real.
No one understands this better than Ghislain Poirier, one of the most commanding artists around exploring new terrains of hip hop and electronic music fused with world riddim idioms twisted deep around bass. His obsession for the big, the dirty and the rhythmic laid the foundation for creating No Ground Under, his first album for Ninja Tune. No Ground Under is chock full of what he describes as "cosmopolitan bass & chunky digital dancehall". Quick-fast riddims with scattered snare chatting slap up against future electro funk, fat beat stabs, and sub bass switch-ups. Grimy digital soca (what you don't know, this is the next level jump up, run the towel) gets lit up beside laser beams slicing through congas. Electro pop with right amount of fucked up double-up gets melodically crunked out. Bodyrocking meets necksnapping in all the right places.
All this being said No Ground Under is a banging record, with enough bounce to make the dance floor quake and bodies shake. A testament to a man who has been making music for years and is truly coming into his own with a sound that will make the global villagers jump up and get on the good foot.
Montreal's Ghislain Poirier is obsessed with big, dirty beats, an affliction that causes him create some of the most out-of-control ragga riddims and deconstructed abstract hip hop to date.
In the past Poirier has collaborated with MCs and DJs from across the globe, working with NYC's resident Large cats MC Beans (Warp) and DJ Rupture (Tigerbeat6), as well as Parisian heavyweights TTC (Big Dada) and London's Lotek Hi-Fi (Big Dada) amongst others.
Poirier has become renowned globally for his bass slammin' remixes that continue to further solidify his title as "king of the bounce". He has remixed tracks for UK grime/hip hop sensation Lady Sovereign (Def Jam), The Editors, Champion, Bassnectar, and Pierre Lapointe, which garnered much critical acclaim and significant attention from publications such as pitchforkmedia.com, RES Magzine and XLR8R, to name just a few.
In 2005, Poirier released the album Breakupdown on Chocolate Industries. The record was well received by the public and press alike, resulting in an offer to head out on the road for a North American tour with the loudest midget in the game herself, Lady Sovereign.
Since then, Poirier threw down his own successful monthly DJ night in Montreal, the infamous BOUNCE LE GROS. The evening featured what Poirier describes as "Bass and no attitude, Gros sound, Gros Beat, Gros Move, Bounce le Gros". A master in the art of making people move, Poirier's night of genre-mashing provided enough bass to fill the place, attracting a mixed crowd appreciating his dirty style, tasty beats and eclectic flare. Spinning music flowing effortlessly from global hip hop, grime, Baile beats, Booty bass, crunk, Baltimore and much more is this man's signature stamp, and mad numbers of Montrealers heeded the bounce call, and consistently sold out this party month after month. After a successful run for 2 years, Poirier retired the monthly jam and focused efforts on international touring, recording some next level heat, and building his incredible live show.
In early 2006, Poirier decided to release his next body of work on his own imprint, Rebondir Records. The Rebondir EP caused a sensation across dancefloors and wrecked nuff necks across the world. ‘Pour Te Rechauffer' wreaked havoc on several soundsystems and brought out the Paris - Montreal connection with TTC and Omnikrom dropping thoughts for les booty francais.
And it don't stop. This legend-in-the-making is touring the world extensively playing the underground club circuit. Keep your ears open, your feet in check and be prepared to Bounce!
Watch for the new album No Ground Under to be released on Ninja Tune in late 2007 in Canada and early 2008 for the USA.
Discography - Albums :
- No Ground Under / Ninja Tune :: ZEN138 CD/2LP :: 2007
- Breakupdown / Chocolate Industries :: CHLT058CD / 2LP :: 2005
- Beats as Politics / Chocolate Industries :: CHLT041CD/CHLT041LP :: 2003
- Conflits / Intr_version :: INTR009 :: 2003
- Sous le manguier / Intr_version :: INTR006 :: 2002
- Il n'y a pas de Sud… / 12k :: 12k1016 :: 2001
Discography - EPs :
- La Ronde EP / Musique Large :: 001 :: 2007
- Rebondir EP / Rebondir Records :: RR01 :: 2006
Discography - 12 inches :
- Blazin' feat. Face-T / Ninja Tune :: ZEN12204 :: 2007
- Dem Nah Like Me feat. Mr Lee G / Shockout :: shock13 :: 2006
- Cold As Hell feat. Beans / Chocolate Industries :: CH053 :: 2004
- Be Strong (Tabarnouche de Mix) feat. Daddy Screw / Shockout :: shock09 :: 2004
- Tribute to Tiger' (Mourial Mix) feat. Wayne Lonesome / Shockout :: shock08 :: 2004
Discography 7 inches :
- Mic Diplomat' feat. DJ Collage / Chocolate Industries :: CHLT055 :: 2006
- They Wanna Know' feat. Mr Lee G / Tax Records 05 :: 2006
Discography - Remixes :
- Buck 65 - 'Way Back When' (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / Warner :: 2007
- We Are Wolves - 'Fight & Kiss' (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / Dare to Care / Ninja Tune :: 2007
- Pole - 'Winkelstreben' (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / Scape :: Scape51 :: 2007
- DJ C - 'Darling' feat. Zulu (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / Community Library :: CL22 :: 2007
- Pierre Lapointe - 'Deux par deux rassemblés' (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / 2x12 :: Audiogram :: ADCD 10 207 :: 2007
- Bassnectar - 'Bomb Tha Blocks' feat. MC Persia (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / Bomb Tha Blocks 12" :: OM Records :: 2007
- The Editors - 'Munich' (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / Remixed :: iTunes :: Fader :: 2006
- Champion - 'No Heaven' (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / "The Remix Album" :: Saboteur :: 2006
- Cadence Weapon - 'Sharks' (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / CD Single :: Upper Class Recordings :: 2006
- Lady Sovereign - 'Fiddle With The Volume' (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / "Vertically Challenged" EP :: Chocolate Industries :: 2005
- Millimetrik - 'Contempler l'auto-destruction' (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / mini-CD "Été : résultat" :: Chat Blanc Records :: cbr-010 :: 2005
- Les Georges Leningrad - 'Supa Doopa' (Ghislain Poirier Mix) / CD single :: Troubleman :: 2005
- Pulseprogramming - 'Off To Do Showery Snapshots' (Ghislain Poirier Mix) / "Tulsa For One Second Remix Project" CD :: Aesthetics :: AST40 :: 2005
- Diverse - 'Big Game' (Ghislain Poirier Remix) / CD single :: Chocolate Industries :: CH051D :: 2004
Discography - Compilations :
- 'Pou Ki Sa Dub' feat. Nik Myo / appearing on Required Listening 2 (Do Right) :: 2007
- 'Pampa Pimp' / appearing on Foggy Fairytales vol.3 (Foggy Notions) :: 2007
- 'Propaganda' feat. Radioinactive / appearing on Montreal Noise & Friendz (Nightlife Magazine) :: 2006
- 'Slow Fat' / appearing on Compilation CISM 15 ans de marge :: 2006
- 'Pour te réchauffer' feat. TTC and Omnikrom / appearing on Cuizinier's "Pour les Filles Volume 2" :: Disque Primeur :: 2006
- 'Cold as Hell' (instrumental) / appearing on Missill Mash Up :: Discograph :: 2005
- 'Cold as Hell' feat. Beans / appearing on Mot 2 Passe :: Soundwize :: 2005
- 'Close the News' / appearing on Hipothetik Disaster :: HPN 001 :: 2005
- 'De l'art de la fellation' (version) feat. Séba / appearing on Shockout :: SHOCK10 :: 2004
- 'Caresser un cercle' - 'La danse du plaisir' - 'Les enfants sont des éponges' / appearing on Bip-Hop Generation vol.7 :: BLEEP24 :: 2004
- 'Couvre-feu' / appearing on Hiiro de Saag Records :: SAAG002 :: 2004
- '300 000 Enfants-soldats (dans le monde)' / appearing on Saturday Morning Empires :: Intr_version :: INTR008 :: 2003
- 'Les pyromanes n'éteignent pas les feux' / appearing on Two Point Two :: 12k :: 12k1026/LINE016:: 2003
- 'Désobéissance civile' / appearing on Sfeericle 10 :: Sfeericle :: 2003
- 'Complémentaire de bleu' / appearing on Mutek 02 :: 2002
Discography - Others :
- Lena - 'Saint-Urbain' / (beats half-produced by Ghislain Poirier) :: appearing on The Uncertain Trail :: Sounds Around Records :: SAR19 :: 2007
- Omnikrom - 'Juste Gros' / (beats produced by Ghislain Poirier) :: appearing on Trop bananes :: Saboteur :: 2007
- Omnikrom - 'XXX ce soir' and 'Pour te réchauffer' feat. TTC / (beats produced by Ghislain Poirier) :: appearing on 24 Pouces glacés :: Les Disques Magifiques :: MGF-002 :: 2006
- Omnikrom - 'Rivière de diamants' / (beats produced by Ghislain Poirier) :: appearing on Futurs Millionnaires Vol.1 :: Les Disques Magifiques :: MGF-001 :: 2005
- DJ/rupture - 'Taqasim' / track composed with DJ/rupture :: appearing on Special Gunpowder :: Tigerbeat6 :: MEOW105 :: 2004
- 'Les défectuosités' / DVD Epsilonlab | images Moment Factory | décembre 2002 | www.epsilonlab.com