Various - Tru Thoughts Covers 2 (CD/LP, Tru Thoughts, 2015)
Various - Tru Thoughts Covers 2
(CD/LP/Digital) Tru Thoughts TRUCD/LP308, 2015-08-07
Tracklisting CD/Digtial :
01. Quantic & Alice Russell with the Combo Barbaro - I'll Keep My Light In My Window 05:43
02. Natural Self - The Valleys 05:06
03. The Bamboos - The Wilhelm Scream Feat. Megan Washington 04:27
04. Alice Russell - I'm The Man, That Will Find You 04:13
05. La Grima - Lithium 04:16 video
06. Belleruche - Mirror In The Bathroom 03:20
07. Quantic Y Su Conjunto Los Miticos Del Ritmo - Nuthin' But A G' Thing (Dre En Cumbia) 03:14
08. Harleighblu - Who's That Girl 03:40
09. Hot 8 Brass Band - Ghost Town 04:12
010. Mark de Clive-Lowe & The Rotterdam Jazz Orchestra - Caravan 03:47
011. Fingathing feat. Jesca Hoop - I Feel Love 04:54
012. Zed Bias - Fairplay Feat. Jenna G 05:51
013. Nizzle Hizzle - The World Is A Ghetto 03:41
014. Saravah Soul - Fire 03:34
015. Youngblood Brass Band - Ain't Nobody 05:38
016. Kinny - The Love Cats 03:47
017. Quantic & Anita Tijoux - Doo Wop (That Thing) 03:41
Tracklisting LP :
A1. Quantic Y Su Conjunto Los Miticos Del Ritmo - Nuthin' But A G' Thing (Dre En Cumbia)
A2. La Grima - Lithium
A3. Hot 8 Brass Band - Ghost Town
A4. Harleighblu - Who's That Girl
B1. Alice Russell - I'm The Man, That Will Find You
B2. Youngblood Brass Band - Ain't Nobody
B3. Fingathing - I Feel Love feat. Jesca Hoop
Tru Thoughts : official | bandcamp | facebook | juno | parisdjs | soundcloud | twitter | youtube
Press Release :
Out 7th August, this second instalment of the Tru Thoughts Covers compilation series brings together some of the intriguing cover versions that have been released and loved as album tracks, singles or one-offs on the label.
As well as contributions from familiar Tru Thoughts artists there are some previously unreleased tunes that have been sought out and signed specifically for this compilation, with La Grima’s dub style rework of Nirvana, Fingathing taking Donna Summer down a disco jazz tip, and Nizzle Hizzle transforming War’s “The World Is A Ghetto”.
Opening in a deep, downtempo direction, the album kicks off with Quantic and Alice Russell exploring a gospel sound on the hugely popular “I’ll Keep My Light In My Window”, taken from their acclaimed ‘Look Around The Corner’ collaborative LP. The Bamboos take James Blake to a soul basement, with Megan Washington on vocals; Zed Bias tackles a Soul II Soul classic whilst Kinny and Harleighblu bring their own unique and illuminating versions of The Cure and Eurythmics, respectively.
Ramping up the raucous factor, The Hot 8 Brass Band give a new meaning to The Specials’ iconic Ghost Town by transposing it onto a post-Katrina New Orleans, and Quantic gives a Cumbia rendition of a Dr Dreclassic, while Youngblood Brass Band rock up with a club and festival favourite in the shape of their punchy instrumental brass takeover of Rufus and Chaka Khan’s “Ain’t Nobody”.
The gems continue with Natural Self’s loving recreation of Electrelane’s “The Valleys” and Alice Russell unveiling the lush, psych-tinged direction of her future sound with a 2014 rework of Connan Mockasin’s“I’m The Man That Will Find You”, through to Quantic’s inspired revision of “Doo Wop (That Thing)”with Chilean vocalist Anita Tijoux flipping Lauryn Hill into Spanish, previously long sold-out on a limited edition 7”.
A great cover version has the power to surprise, amuse, blur genre boundaries, cause debate or simply get people dancing to something they never knew they loved. All these tracks have proved popular amongst a diverse range of fans, DJs and radio shows across the world, and it is quite something to hear them all together.