Santa's Funk & Soul Christmas Party Vol.2 (CD/2LP, Tramp Records, 2013)
Various - Santa's Funk & Soul Christmas Party Vol.2
(Gatefold LP/CD/Digital) Tramp Records TRLP/CD-9027, 2013-11-25
01. Little Jimmy Thomas - Deck The Halls
02. Jimmy Jones & His Versatiles - Christmas Is A Drag Without You Baby
03. Salem Travelers - A Letter For Christmas
04. Tina Roberts - Snow (Like The Snow)
05. Pearl Bailey - Jingle Bells Cha Cha Cha
06. The Beginning Of The End - Gee Whiz, It's Christmas
07. Steve Gray - Snowmans Stomp
08. Meditation Singers - What The World Needs For Christmas
09. Rev. T.L. Barrett And The Youth For Christ Choir - Jingle Bells Pt.1
10. Rev. T.L. Barrett And The Youth For Christ Choir - Jingle Bells Pt.2
11. Martin Mull With The Sondra Baskin Glee Club - Santafly
12. Jim Cagle - Santa Claus, Jr.
13. Short Stuff - Merry Christmas Baby
14. Don Smith - Black Christmas
15. Nancy Lee - Xmas Commercial Blues
16. Bobby Allen & The Exceptions - Lonely Christmas Tears
Funky Christmas : official | facebook | soundcloud
DJ Jan Kohlmeyer : official | youtube
Tramp Records : official | bandcamp | discogs | kudos (UK distribution) | parisdjs
Press Release :
To be honest, Christmas music on earthly radio seems to be the worst in the Milky Way. Just imagine an alien picking up our radio waves on his journey through the galaxy – what would he think of our conception of Christmas music? Having such an impression of our cultural heritage, would he land on planet earth at all? Being extraordinarily tolerant and broad-minded, Paul did - and luckily, I got to meet him.
Paul admits – unlike other extraterrestrials – that the human race might be able to survive on its own. This makes me appreciate him more than other aliens. And when it comes to exceptional musical taste, Paul and I have even more in common. In the past centuries, Paul has celebrated innumerable Christmas seasons across the universe. Of all things, this year it is planet earth that has something seasonal to offer - something the galaxy has never seen before. Yuletide nerd Jan Kohlmeyer has put together an amazing collection of hip-shaking Christmas songs. Despite Paul’s advanced age and wealth of experience, he has never encountered such an impressive selection. Not in the entire universe.
Asking Paul about this compilation puts a big smile on his face: Santa's Funk & Soul Christmas Party Vol. 2 is simply intergalactic! There is no better instruction manual for decorating the Christmas tree (Little Jimmy Thomas - Deck the Halls). It is a most righteous accompaniment to seeing the first snowflakes dancing through the air (Tina Roberts – Snow). Galactic garden gnomes will surely have a fling to Pearl Bailey's Jingle Bells Cha Cha Cha, and all Martians will be snapping their fingers to Gee Whiz, it's Christmas. At his 874th anniversary this December, Paul’s grandad will get up and boogie to Martin Mull's Santafly just like Christopher Walken did in Weapon of Choice. Fortunately, Paul realised how crackbrained it is to celebrate Christmas without his beloved (Jimmy Jones & his Versatiles – Christmas is a drag without you baby), so he split to be back home in time and left me to pass on this farewell: Merry Christmas everybody!
Dr. Jule S. - Alien expert, November 2013