Paris DJs Playlist - November 2012
The November 2012 Paris DJs Playlist :
This november we had the luxury of going to see many of our friends onstage around and in Paris. Ebo Taylor & Afrobeat Academy smashed the place at Le Hangar in Ivry. The Antibalas show at Le New Morning was also killer, especially the second set with 3 new amazing tracks... and we got signed records from Ticklah (his fantastic Bob & Gene reggae/dub rework on a Daptone 7 inch), from Antibalas (the new LP on Daptone, a real Fela-inspired grower) and from Superhuman Happiness (a CD EP released on The Royal Potato Family late 2011, collecting the band's infectious singles). Stuart Bogie, Luke O’Malley, Ryan Ferreira, Jared Samuel, Eric Biondo, Nikhil Yerawadekar and Miles Arntzen, who make up Superhuman Happiness, have collaborated with several other bands including Antibalas, Phenomenal Handclap Band, TV On The Radio, Iron & Wine and Martha Wainwright among many others. They'll be releasing their full-length album, 'Hands', in March 2013 via The Royal Potato Family….
01. The Inversions - I Can't Stand These Lonely Nights (Daptone 7") info | buy
02. Antibalas - Antibalas / Daptone Records (Daptone LP) info | buy
03. Superhuman Happiness - The Physical EP (The Royal Potato Family CD EP) info | buy
November 2012 was also a good month for the Paris DJs label, with 3 new singles released, all produced by Grant Phabao, and featuring 3 legends of reggae: Carlton Livingston, getting the heavy funk/blues rocking treatment from new band on the scene The Silverstrokes; Echo Minott, putting the 'ragga' and the 'muffin' back into 'Raggamuffin' with a new smashing one drop monster tune; and The Lone Ranger, the most entertaining DeeJay who ever lived, remixed by DJ/producer Blend Mishkin for some Braaaap Braaaap wicked dancehall. We also put out a free download from Sandra N'Kaké & Jî Drû, who paid their dues to a free soul with their tribute to the late Terry Callier.
04. Grant Phabao & The Lone Ranger - Music Weh Dem Wan (Paris DJs digital single) info | buy
05. Grant Phabao & Echo Minott - Too Much Blood A Run (Paris DJs digital single) info | buy
06. Grant Phabao presents Carlton Livingston - Jackie Statement (Paris DJs digital single) info | buy
07. Sandra Nkaké & Jî Drû - Dancing Girl - A Tribute To Terry Callier (Paris DJs virtual release) info/download
More afro, funk & groove reached our doorstep, starting with some essential vinyl from the UK, where people keep on putting out Afrofunk/disco/boogie edits of the highest order. The first 12 inch on the brand new Muka Edits label is pure tropical dancefloor gold, while the third 7 inch in the 'Afro Funk Gems' series of explosive & officially licenced edits on Mulatskuku explores Columbian steamy funk and French African afrofunk. Fire for your turntables!!
08. Various - Afro Disco Boogie Edits Volume 1 (Muka Edits 12 inch) info/buy
09. Nik Weston presents Afro Funk Gems Volume Three (Mukatsuku 7 inch) info/buy
We also received an 18 track compilation by Chris Gill from Northside Records and Lance Ferguson from The Bamboos, 'The Soul of Melbourne', featuring the best of what Melbourne has to offer the world, whether it’s Deep Funk, Neo Soul, Afrobeat, R&B, Bollywood, Spiritual Jazz or Northern Soul. The comp includes the best tracks from some friends of ours (The Cactus Channel, The Bombay Royale, The Public Opinion Afro Orchestra, Cookin' On 3 Burners…) and also some nice discoveries. We've been playing some Australian grooves for years, it's high time everyone catches on, and this is a perfect entry point!
10. Chris Gill & Lance Ferguson present The Soul Of Melbourne (Northside Records CD) info | buy
Brighton-based label Tru Thoughts Recordings get a regular spot on our playlist because of the quality of their releases and the new 'Shapes 12:01' low-priced double compilation is, as every year, a must have if you're open-minded towards breaks, electronic soul, dubstep, crossover and global grooves - 29 tracks from new signings (Mark de Clive-Lowe, Anchorsong), established past or present Tru Thoughts artists (Beta Hector, Benji Boko, Hint, Kinny, Saravah Soul, Maddslinky, Hidden Orchestra…) with a few new songs thrown in there too.
11. Various - Shapes 12:01 (Tru Thoughts 2xCD compilation) info | buy
New-Zealanders The Black Seeds have reached a high point with their fusion of dub, funk, afrobeat and soul with their latest album 'Dust & Dirt', and they're re-releasing it with a slew of bonus tracks, dubs, and remixes. We were lucky to get a promo copy of their third single which features 4 of those bonus tracks. The unreleased ska number 'Toon-A-Loon' and the deep Prince Fatty dub of the title track are our favorites - exactly the kind of Jamaican worldwide music we pla in our '21st Century Roots' mixes!
12. The Black Seeds - Dust & Dirt EP (Proville Records promo CD) info | buy
On a more electronic tip, we received some cool music from the Ninja Tune/Big Dada people. First of all there's Tony Campbell aka Dobie, who's put out a second EP for Big Dada (announcing his 2013 album 'We Will Not Harm You'). The EP is all instrumental music, with every track leaping off to a different style, sometimes raw and agressive, always sensible and futuristic. Then we have two new singles from Amon Tobin's Two Fingers project, also on Big Dada, all about beats and bass, re-inventing the 'industrial' genre for the for the 21st century, no less! Our last selection for this month is a kind of anachronism: the 'Hardcourage' album from New-Yorker FaltyDL is an early-90's-inspired blend of house, electronica and soul that could have very well figured in our recent '21st Century Blues' selection!
13. Dobie - ...But Fear Itself EP (Big Dada promo CD) info | buy
14. Two Fingers - Sweden/Razoback (Big Dada promo CD) info | buy
15. Two Fingers - Vengeance Rhythm (Big Dada promo CD) info | buy
16. FaltyDL - Hardcourage (Ninja Tune CD) info | buy
Contact us to be featured in this monthly playlist.